F-Zero (エフゼロ Efu Zero?, F-ZERO) is a futuristic racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game was first released in Japan on November 21, 1990 and later in North America on August 13, 1991 and in Europe on June 4, 1992. The title was downloadable over the Nintendo Power peripheral in Japan and was also released onto the Nintendo Super System. The special edition of the game was released for the Super Famicom's Satellaview attachment. In late 2006, F-Zero became available for the Virtual Console service on the Wii.
As the inaugural game of the F-Zero series of video games, it was first released in Japan as one of the two debut titles for the Super NES, but in the U.S. this launch title was accompanied by more games. With its original scenario and style of gameplay, F-Zero was the first of its kind and also featured a groundbreaking technological achievement at that time. As a result, the title inspired the future creation of numerous racing games inside and out of its own subgenre.
|#||Knight League (Easy)||Queen League (Moderate)||King League (Hard)|
|1||Mute City I||Mute City II||Mute City III|
|2||Big Blue||Port Town||Death Wind II|
|3||Sand Ocean||Red Canyon I||Port Town II|
|4||Death Wind I||White Land I||Red Canyon II|
|5||Silence||White Land II||Fire Field|
- Nintendo Power (Japanese). Nintendo. Archived from the original on 2006-12-15. Retrieved on 2007-08-05.
- BS F-Zero 2 Grand Prix. IGN. Retrieved on 2006-06-19.
- Vuckovic, Daniel (2006-10-18). First 7 Aussie Virtual Console games revealed. Vooks.net. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- Sheff, David . Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children, First, New York: Random House, Inc., p. 361. ISBN 0-679-40469-4.
- Parish, Jeremy (2006-11-14). Out to Launch: Wii. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2007-07-03.
- IGN Staff (1998-07-14). F-Zero X. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-07-16. “It [F-Zero] was the first of its kind; the only really successful inheritor (or copier, depending on how you look at it) to date are Psygnosis's Wipeout and Wipeout II for Sony's PlayStation.”
- Thomas, Lucas (2007-01-26). F-Zero (Virtual Console) review. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-07-16.
- Allen, Matt. SNES WEEK: Day 5. NTSC-uk.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-03.